Shelby Bupp Crockett

My photo
Birmingham, Michigan, United States
I live in Birmingham, Michigan, with my husband Kyle, our son Nathan and our daughter Evelyn. The blog is named for our late dog Pete, a Rhodesian Ridgeback who died in 2014. Late in 2015, we returned to the US after living five years overseas (Seoul, South Korea and Königstein im Taunus, Germany).

Friday, January 11, 2013

Laugh Out Loud

These things are true: 
Today has not been my best Korean day. 
I do my best to stay positive on the blog, and it is usually very easy. 

But today...A person delivering a previously ordered product hung up on me not once, not twice, not thrice, but four times because he couldn't understand me (and I couldn't get the clue,"An-yah-say-oh...Shelby Crockett. Seongbuk-dong. Delivery...!?")

No matter. This isn't my first lost-in-translation rodeo. 

I thought absolutely nothing of bundling up my child, driving down to the Multicultural Center, handing my iphone and proof-of-payment receipts to a bi-lingual Korean stranger and directing them to explain what I could not.  All the while, my kid ran around the lobby exclaiming "hot!" to all that he encountered as he passed out animal crackers to each and every plant. Totally normal.

But we got it done. Hang up on me all you want, but delivery is tomorrow at Noon. Take that, Korea.

Maybe that's why the following facebook post from a local Korean Magazine made me laugh out loud. It may be totally lost on you, dear reader, but this is my cathartic blog entry and so here we go... (I was going to write "this is my cathartic blog entry and I am in charge"--harsh! Like I said, it's been that kind of day).  Anyway, I found myself "liking" every other comment because, well, this is our life!

It's just what I needed to make today "funny."  Thank you, 10 Magazine!

You know you've lived in Korea too long when.... (please finish the sentence.)
3Like · ·
  • 16 people like this.
  • 박다안 you say Aishiii instead of shit

  • Moony Holiday Tea when somebody bumps into you say sorry you look at him/her with a face expression like "what the...did you just say sorry?"

  • Lauren Donnison You crave kimchi jiggae for breakfast

  • Ian Woodcock No food is complete unless it includes garlic.

  • Hayley Wong you say 'yaa!' to everyone and everything!

  • Hilary Dumas When you say "This is no" and other ridiculous grammar modifications in your daily speaking.

  • Michele Farley-Photography You no longer remove your coat when you go indoors...

  • Ashley Cheeseman You raise two fingers (in a V) every time a camera is pointed at you

  • Daisy Larios Preciado You stop using articles when speaking english

  • Paul Surette You think nothing of raising one leg and then the other at the urinal so that the cleaning lady can mop the floor.

  • Joseph Eleazer Spitting, smacking while chewing and other barbaric etiquette by Western standards doesn't bother you so much.

  • Andy Hume you keep asking people their age, and when they answer you ask, "Korean years or American years?"

  • Rick Michael Dysinger You have a female President and you remember when women didn't work.

  • Brooke Yay you are comfortable putting on makeup in the subway mirrors, and openly taking pictures of yourself

  • Colin Owen Griffin You refer to yourself as an ajumma or ajeossi...

  • Michelle Buenavista You use scissors to cut pork and beef at barbecue:p

  • Stephane Mot you absent-mindedly answer in Korean to your rice cooker or house alarm each time they tell you something

  • Michelle Grover you make sure youre not wearing holy socks in case u have to take off ur shoes...

  • Dee-Ann R. Mesias when you visit other countries and notice other Koreans on the street.

  • Laura Stansfield Facebook and CNN( not to mention 10 Magazine ) are your lifelines to the English-speaking world...

  • Jeff Mixson everytime you meet somebody you give a thumbs up and enthusiastically tell them they are handsome

  • 조나 Always do things very fast!

  • Laura Stansfield You know the streets, shops, and restaurants of Itaewon like the back of your hand...

  • Gregory Defraize You miss kimchi sometimes

  • Gregory Defraize Or when you land at Incheon and feels like going back home

  • 조나 Cooking rice with beans.

  • Diana Lim using ㅋㅋㅋ in chat and text messages... ㅋㅋㅋSee Translation

  • Angelina Foss ask "What's your Blood type?"

  • Gavin Rua you don't notice the drunk businessmen holding hands


  • Derek Iwanuk You start to become used to ice cold water coming from public faucets when you wash your hands.

  • Jkea Pains you answer this question

  • Chad Geib You know who Stephen Revere is

  • Patrick J.Cloutier When you eat 오징어, 멸치 and 미역국 for breakfast and you are the first one to finish! ㅋㅋSee Translation

  • Daisy Larios Preciado you say kkk on facebook in place of hahaha or lol and are too lazy to say ㅋㅋㅋ and all your american friends think you are referring to the KKKSee Translation

  • Laura Stansfield You can't remember your last phone call and get asked out on dates via KakaoTalk...

  • Sheeninagans Kelly when you look at your cornflakes and think wow this really is a weird thing to eat for breakfast
Tomorrow is going to be a good day.

:)sbc

2 comments:

  1. Aw, I'm sorry it was a frustrating experience! But you persevered, and at least Nathan wasn't running around the lobby saying "shit" to everything. Totally my fault, and I giggle every time Caroline drops something and says, "oh shit!" Bad mommy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I feel ya--we are in the truck-sounds-a-lot-like-f@ck stage. I swear I didn't teach him that! ;-)

      Delete